- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 - 12 russet potatoes, peeled
- Kosher salt
- 1 small onion or 4 shallots, peeled and sliced very thin
- 3/4 shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 - 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine the oil and melted butter in a small dish. Set aside.
- Brush a round baking dish (around 9 - 10 inches) with a little of the butter and oil mixture.
- Slice the potatoes as thin as possible crosswise. Arrange potatoes vertically in the baking dish. Wedge onion or shallot slices throughout potato slices - in about 3 or 4 sections of each potato. Sprinkle with salt and black. Brush with the remaining butter and oil mixture. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over top of dish.