I've enjoyed trying some new recipes lately - the little Martha Stewart in me has been a busy girl! I suggest trying out these Cheddar Herb Scones - they're to die for!
1 + 3/4 cups self-raising flour
1 /2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
2/3 cup shredded aged cheddar cheese
1.5 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme leaves
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix flour, salt and black pepper together in a large bowl.
- Work in the butter until the mixture is crumbly with pea sized crumbs.
- Stir in almost all the cheese and the thyme.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg, buttermilk and mustard together. Remove a tablespoon of it and set aside to brush over the tops.
- Pour in the buttermilk mixture to flour mixture. Stir until the mixture forms a spongy dough.
- Roll out onto lightly floured surface and knead briefly until smooth 3 cm-thick.
- Cut into quarters then cut each quarter diagonally to make triangles.
- Place them on the prepared pan and brush the tops with the buttermilk mixture you set aside then sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes until they are risen and golden brown.